Sunday, January 14, 2007

Exmouth

Darren and the Easy Riders bus headed north without me and I stayed on in Exmouth to do two days of scuba diving. Unfortunately I do not have any pictures like I did from Malaysia. The first day I did two boat dives with Exmouth Dive Center. We went to Labyrinth and Blizzard Ridge. We saw several types of sharks, sea snakes, rays, turtles, and of course, what seemed like millions of fish.

The second day I went diving with Ningaloo Reef Dream. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT go diving with this company if you are in Exmouth, Western Australia. They were unprofessional, irresponsible, and practically downright illegal.

There were 8 snorkelers and 4 divers on the boat. There were two staff. There was a dive master who was also the skipper of the boat. The second staff member was a young woman (22) who was on her second day of dive master training. Because on staff member has to stay with the boat she was assigned the task of leading the four paying divers on a tour of a site that she had never been to before. Two of the four of us were on their first dives after open water certification. Needless to say, this poor girl, who should not have been in the situation that she was in, got us lost and failed to keep track of everybody's air levels and I had to eventually take charge and get everyone back to the boat alive. Outrageous to say the least.

Anyway, that is enough text. Below is what comprises rush hour in Exmouth and the light house at the north point of the peninsula.

1 comment:

Damien Huffer said...

Exmouth is a cool place! Too bad you had to see it when it was scorching hot, right? I snorkled a bit with the first company you mentioned, and we also did a glass bottom boat thing on the way back. HUGE rays, eels, lobsters, sand sharks. I will get back some day to actually dive on it, I promise :)