Saturday, March 18, 2006

The Path of Adventure

People wrote that they really liked the post that explained where I was going when I went to Southeast Asia, so I have decided to do it again. Below you will find a map that shows were Rebecca and I will be traveling. As is always the case with international travel anything I describe below is subject to change at a moments notice for an infinite number of possible reasons.

Rebecca arrives in Rio de Janeiro March 29th and I join her there April 1st. She has agreed to meet me at the airport, which is a really good thing since I will have been traveling for 32 hours straight when I arrive. We will probably spend 4 or 5 days in Rio seeing the sights and spending a lot of time on the beach allowing Rebecca to get a tan after her long winter in England.


After Rio we will be heading north to Salvador and to a place called Sacatar. Sacatar is an artist residency program similar to the one that my father runs in California. Mitch and Taylor, Sacatar's directors, and good friends of my dad, have agreed to put Rebecca and I up for a couple of nights. We will also be checking out the sights in Salvador as well.

From there we will continue north along the Atlantic coast stopping at whatever places interest us. Recife is supposed to have good scuba diving and there is supposedly a beach called Pipa to the south of Natal that has great surfing...

Turning northwest we will make our way to Belem, the major port city at the mouth of the Amazon River. After a few days there we will embark on a five day journey upriver to Manaus. We will hopefully have the opportunity to spend some time out in the jungle outside of Manaus. From there we continue farther up river to where Peru, Columbia, and Brazil meet. Tabatinga is the Brazilian city at the border and Leticia is the Columbian town. We will cross the border into Columbia and then catch a boat from Leticia to Iquitos, Peru, which is another day of travel upriver. In Iquitos we are going to get to meet up with colleagues of Rebecca's who work at Zoo Peru. From there it will be time for me to head home. Rebecca will continue to travel through Peru, Bolivia, and Chile for another five weeks until she heads home to Australia.

2 comments:

Lilypad John said...

That sounds awesome, good luck, yo!

Anonymous said...

Can you buy more silk suits in Brasil?
-Dan Ransom