Monday, April 23, 2007

My Site

Here are a few photographs of my site. They were taken on the last day when we had completed excavation and had cleaned up all of the units. They are overlapping photos assembled into large panoramics.

In all, we excavated a total 744 square meters (8008 square feet) to an average depth of 25 cm (10 inches). That is a total of 186 cubic meters (6568 cubic feet). That is equivalent to having a foot and a half of dirt covering an area the size of a basketball court.



Photos by Chris Flahive. Panoramic were assembled using autostich.

6 comments:

Greg said...

Was there a particular motivation behind your choice of site?

Owen said...

I do not choose which sites I go to. They are chosen for me by my bosses.

Greg said...

Any idea why they chose it?

Owen said...

They felt that it had a high probability of success. They were correct. However, the site turned out to be larger than anticipated, so another team will have to go back in the future.

Greg said...

I guess what I'm really trying to get at is how the "probability of success" is determined.

Owen said...

Investigation teams are sent out to all of the sites several times before an excavation team (what I lead) is sent out. They provide some basic information that is analyzed to determine the likelihood of success.