Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Vansana Hotel

Ok, so a nice hotel is probably not the best thing to get spoiled with on a first mission, but hey, I am not the one who determines all of this stuff. There are other people in JPAC who decide all of these things. I just take what is given to me.


All 50-some-odd of us stayed in the Vansana Hotel in Phonsavan. It is literally the hotel on the hill. It is also the only place in town large enough to accommodate all of us. There was a super friendly staff who completed a full maid service every day while we were out at work. There was also a pretty decent restaurant with a full complement of asian food and cooks who even went out of their way to learn how to make cheeseburgers for us.


We completely took over the entire hotel. One of the parking lots turned into out gear storage and staging area. Another, lower parking lot, turned into our landing pad for squirrel helicopters. The Mi-17 landed in a dirt area out on the other end of the hotel.


I also had a very nice view of all of town from my front balcony.


I have a bad feeling that I might be camping when I go to Vietnam in June...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you're finally going to make it back to Nam, eh? Yeah, it's not too bad a place once you get to know it. I'm very glad that my "recovery mission" does not involve so many logistical hassles...even if you didn't have to arrange any of them! We have skeletons galore, and a great team to help us make it happen. Hope you can find success in your work too.

Anonymous said...

Wish we had copters! Lucky dog :)