Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Ko Phi Phi

I dropped off of the radar for a little while because I spent a week on Ko Phi Phi Don, a gorgeous tropical island off the western coast of the Thailand half-way between Phuket and Krabi. The small town on the island has been rebuilt since it was completely destroyed by the tsunami several years ago.

Ko Phi Phi (pronounced pee pee) Don is most well known for its towering limestone karst topography and scuba diving, of which I did a lot. And no, I don't have any underwater pictures. Instead you are just going to have to suffer through several tropical island photos.


Looking north into Tonsai Bay

The island is made up of two north-south oriented ridges with a narrow isthmus connecting them. The compact, crowded and very busy town sits on the isthmus. There are no cars on the island and only the police have scooters. The lack of city noise is blissful.

Most days I would get up at 7, stumble my way to the dive shop and head out on their boat to Ko Phi Phi Ley, a smaller island just to the south. This is the island that has May Bay where The Beach was filmed. The diving was amazing. I saw a couple different types of sharks, a sea snake, thousands of fish, and even a hawksbill turtle with a giant snail riding on its back.

The southern most tip of Phi Phi Don with Phi Phi Ley in the distance.


There is a short hike up to a viewpoint where you can view wonderful sunsets.


1 comment:

Ang said...

Owen, you have got the life.....and I am beyond jealous!!!! Can't wait to hear all about it when you get back....even if I will be crying a little inside. Hope you are having a good second mission!