Friday, June 12, 2009

Kuala Lumpur

After four days in Singapore I flew to Kuala Lumpur (KL). Last time when I was in SE Asia I took the bus a lot because I had quit my job and did not have a lot of money. This time around I do have a job and can now afford the pleasure of flying what would otherwise be a 6-8 hour bus ride.

I stayed at the Classic Inn in the Golden Triangle. It is a great budget hotel and I highly recommend it. Adrian and Michelle were extremely helpful and hospitable. The even invited myself and two Canadian guys out to massages and dinner with them.

Anyway... On to the sights.


The Petronas Towers. Ok, so here is a very interesting tidbit. Everyone in KL refers to them as the twin towers. This is perfectly normal and they say it constantly without a second thought. As an American it was very interesting to here the term "twin towers" used in a very similar yet different context. While the term refers to buildings in each case, when I first heard a Malaysian say twin towers the first that popped into my head was obviously 9/11. It took me a second or two to realize that the phrase twin towers does not automatically recall a tragedy in the mind of Malaysians.

Bigger point: Once again I have found another example of the faulty logic of the "America at the enter of the universe" mentality.

Alright, enough personal introspection.
The buildings are the home of the national energy company and are built with strict geometry in mind in order to be harmonious in both Islam and Buddhist religions. I did go up to the sky bridge (they don't let you go all the way to the top of either tower).

1 comment:

Damien Huffer said...

Nice pics Owen! My uncle was one of the architects brought over to help design the towers and the museum associated with them. He and my aunt were there for 4 years and loved it. Must go some day!