Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Birthday

April 8th was my 27th (Yikes I am geting old) Birthday. Rebecca and I were still in Itaparica on the night of the 7th and so Mitch and Taylor took us out to dinner at a smal little restaurant that only the locals know about and would NEVER appear in a guidebook. They went way beyond the necessary call of suty and called ahead to tel them that we were coming and that it was my birthday.




The family that runs the restaurant went over the top. There were five huge dishes for the four of us that included chicken stuffed with ham and cheese, rice, salad, a shrimp stew, and a Bahian specialty - stir fried salted beef, which sounds a little odd, but was very good. They even baked a giant birthday cake for me with guava frosting. The entire restaraunt (four tables) sang happy birthday to me and I shared cake with everyone.



From the restaurant we headed off across town - with half of the cake left - to the central square where there is dancing every friday night. We got about half waythere when a torrential downpour of rain opened up and the four of us ended up hising uder the awning of a vendors stall for about 30 minutes by the main pier. Once the rain let up we headed on and ran into a group of young guys who were hanging out "gaurding" the pier. They sang happy birthday to me as well and we gave them the rest of the cake as a thank you.



We did eventualy make it to the central square, but the rain had put a damper on things, so we just had icecream and called it a night.

I want to send out a HUGE thank you to Mitch, Taylor, and the rest of the Sacatar staff for their wonderful hospitality while we were there.

No comments: