Monday, April 17, 2006

Olinda

From Lencois, Rebecca and I caught an early morning bus back to Salvador and then that night´s bus up to Recife. It was a six hour ride from Lencois to Salvador, a six hour layover in the mall across from the bus station and then a 14 hour bus trip up the coast. From Recife we caught a taxi to Olinda where we settled into the Auberge do Olinda, which thankfully had a pool and plenty of hammocks. The beach in Olinda is not the best.



Olinda is a small town next to Recife which has fabulous colonial architecture and tons of old churches to explore. There are also some very nice views out over the Atlantic Ocean and back to Recife.


I also booked myself onto a dive trip and got to go out and do two wreck dives. There are more than 30 ship wrecks off the coast of Recife and Olinda. I got to see eels, giant snails, two nurse sharks, and a ton of different species of fish that I had never seen before because I was no longer diving in the pacific ocean. I also managed to survive a seriously rough boat ride without getting sick. Thankfully the sea sickness pills worked.

We also had some good times out for drinks at the street stalls with the French and German crews. The photo is blurry for a good reason....

No comments: