Sunday, April 02, 2006

Brazil´s Two Major Religions

Today Rebecca and I went and took in a bit of Brazil´s two major religions. We started the day by going up to the Corcovado, which is the famous giant statue of Christ with his arms outstretched. It sits on this hill way above Rio and it can be seen from almost anywhere in the city. It is more than 30 m tall and weighs around 1000 metric tons. It is a total tourist trap where everyone lines up to get their picture taken in just the right spot. On the way down we took a cable car type train and we got to see several monkeys playing in the trees.

The second religious experience was a trip to Maracana Stadium to see a futebol match. The game was between the two best teams in Rio, Botafogo and Madoreira. There were well over 100,000 people there and it would have been more if some of the sections were not being repaired. It is AMAZING to say the least. EVERYONE is wearing their team´s colors and jumping up and down rythmically to the unceasing drums the fans have brought to the game. They also all sing songs in unison to celebrate their teams and even individual players when they score goals.

The passion that they exhibit is unparalleled by anything I have ever witnessed. They clutch at the bars and handrails and yank at them with all their strength when there is a near goal and curse like a drunken sailor when something bad happens. I do not know what they mean, but I am certian that I know every portugese swear word in the book now.

They hurl toilet paper down from the upper deck of the stands to empty sections below. They light fireworks in the middle of the stands. At one point there was a huge explosion and all of the toilet paper in one area caught on fire. The fans had SET OFF A BOMB in the stadium!!! A firetruck had to come and put out the fires. The game carried on like nothing had happened by the way. It didn´t even pause for a minute.

I am sure that you are wondering where the pictures are... Well that is a whole story in and of itself... I foolishly took my camera to the game and at some point in one of the the massive crushes of people was relieved of it. It was taken straight out of a buttoned up pocket...

Fortunately it was only the first day and I did not lose too many pictures. It still sucks because I now have to go out and buy a new camera and memory cards. I know that i can get it replaced through my travel insurance when i get back, but it is stil a pain in the butt right now. So, that and plane tickets are the plan for tomorrow.

Bec and I are headed for Salvador and Scatar on Wed. morning.

I will try to get a few pics up next post.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The game sounds like a bad ass experience. I hope to see one some time. Bummer about the camera. Hope you keep having fun.