Thursday, October 19, 2006

Big Changes

This past Wednesday I was awarded a post masters fellowship through the Joint Pacific Accounting and Command Central Identification Laboratory. I will be joining an organization whose responsibility it is to go around the world and recover the remains of United States armed forces members who fell in combat and were not retrieved during the past conflict. This includes WWI, WWII, The Korean War, The Vietnam War, and Gulf War I and II.

I will be working as a recovery team leader and will have the possibility to travel to Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Micronesia, Papua New Guinea, Korea, France, Germany, Belgium, Holland, etc... My job will be to lead a team of 8-15 military personnel in the excavation of a location where missing service men are thought to be located. I will be traveling for up to 5 months a year. When I am not on deployment I will be working at the laboratory on Hickam Air Force Base at Pearl Harbor here on Oahu and will be responsible for writing up the results of my previous mission and preparing for the next.

I am very excited to say the least. I have finally found a job that combines my two favorite things in the whole wide world: archaeology and travel. This of course means that there will be many more posts from my travel adventures.

Next stop: Chicago. I leave tomorrow night.

1 comment:

Damien Huffer said...

Wow! No idea you were into digging up dead people?! So, your CRM work in Hawaii involved a lot of burials, then? I had a forensic anth/osteo professor here at UA who worked in Hawaii's Lab...Dr. Bruce Anderson? You might meet him eventually. When do you start?