Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Chicago, Day 1

My first day in Chicago Emily and I headed downtown to check out the Chicago Marathon and to wander around downtown. I have to tell you. I have no idea why 40,000 people thought that it was a good idea to run 26.2 miles in low 40 degree weather. Some people are just insane. The really crazy part of it is that as I stood there watching it I couldn't help but feel a little inspired and I actually found myself thinking that maybe I should give it a try for the 2007 Honolulu Marathon. Dangerous thoughts... I suggested that we move on.


The highlight of the day was seeing "The Bean". The Bean is actually named Cloud Gate and it was designed by British artist Anish Kapoor to be part of Chicago's Millenium Park, which was opened in 2004 (don't ask). The bean is a giant curved mirrored object that begs to be interacted with. It is simply fun to walk around and see how your image changes on the different surfaces. Without too many more words I will simply leave you with some pictures.





5 comments:

Papasan said...

How often do they polish that thing?

Nice shots.

Owen said...

I don't know. I also don't know why you can't click on the pics and have them open up big...

Meng said...

Hm. Maybe the Chicago Arts Council has teamed up with Google to restrict distribution of photographs taken of the Bean. A conspiracy?

http://www.boingboing.net/2005/05/27/chicagos_bean_sculpt.html

Papasan said...

Hey, why did my first post get redubbed 'daniel' instead of 'pasasan'?

I'm confused.

Owen said...

I am not sure about the name that went with yours. I am also unable to figure out why only the first pic will blow up large...