Sunday, December 03, 2006

Into Victoria

From New South Wales we headed south into Victoria, the state that makes up the southeastern most corner of Australia. Victoria is heavily based on agriculture, particularly cattle, and dairy production. For the most part it is green pastures and rolling hills. At least the part I saw anyway... We made our way south to Cann River and then turned west heading along the Princes Highway through the towns of Orbost, Lakes Entrance and Sale. We also crossed the Snowy River. Yes, the one in the famous Australian story. Our destination for the evening was Golden Beach, which is the western end of Ninety Mile Beach, aptly named for its length which stretched on beyond the limits of sight.

Oh, and as far as we could tell, there was not another soul on it. For an American this is a hard thing to imagine. 90 miles of beach that has not been disturbed? It is unheard of at home. I guess that it is a good thing to live in a relatively unpopulated country at times.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd never heard of The Man From Snowy River until now.

ceara said...

me neither

Emily said...

I have. I guess that mean's I'm old. or that my family had the disney channel when I was a kid

Anonymous said...

If you had the disney channel as a kid you can't possibly be old :[