Monday, December 11, 2006

Melbourne

Joanne and I parted ways in Melbourne. She had to go back to work. I am extremely thankful because she took time off of work and drove my butt all over southeastern Australia for more than a week. My trip would not have been anywhere near as nice if I didn't have her to show me around.

Thanks Jo!

I spent a couple of days hanging out in St. Kilda, a really cool neighborhood a little ways south of downtown Melbourne. Jo and I had been going full tilt for so long that it was nice to just hang out for a day doing nothing more than laundry and internet stuff. I stayed at a place called Base. It is a new breed of hostels that are springing up that are designed and built with backpackers in mind. Right now they are only in OZ and NZ, so if you make it down this way, be sure to check them out.
Anyway, here are a few pictures from Melbourne.

After a Sunday spent resting and catching up on chores I set out to explore the city on a Monday. This of course meant that half of the museums that I wanted to go to were closed. It also meant that Chunky Move, a dance group my parents saw when they were in Australia was not performing. Oh well, I guess I will just have to come back. I did make it to the Melbourne Museum, which was a modern state of the art building with great collections. It even had a full blown rain forest inside it.


On the whole I would have to say that I enjoyed Melbourne more than Sydney. I base this mainly on my feeling that I would be happier living in Melbourne than in Sydney. Sydney was just too big and urban for me.

1 comment:

s. v. Indigo said...

Wow - you managed to capture a crew rowing in Melbourne. We alterted Sam so that he could imagine rowing where it is warm. Your experiences in Australia seem a world away (es verdad), and, yes, we cook as we learn spanish - lots!