Monday, December 11, 2006

Wilsons Promontory


The southern most portion of mainland Australia is comprised of Wilsons Promontory National Park. It is a large hook shaped peninsula extending towards Tasmania. The park can best be described as a series of granite headlands extending out into the water separated by broad sandy beaches.


There was great hiking within the park that ranges from open shrub grassland in the northern portions to temperate rain forests tucked in the valley bottoms. Due to time constraints I was only able to do a few of the day hikes, but there are other muti-day backpacking options as well.

The wildlife was very abundant in the park as well. An echidna made an appearance on the path I was on and then promptly rolled into a ball as soon as it noticed me.


All told, I would have to say that Wilsons Promontory has been one of my favorite places in Australia. If you make it down to Victoria, this should definitely be on your list of places to go.

No comments: