Sunday, December 03, 2006

Canberra

I spent one night in Canberra with the associated preceding afternoon and following morning. Joanne's father, John, was nice enough to put us up for the night. We went out to dinner with him and he turned out to be a truly amazing man. He has worked in the federal government for decades and has been pretty much single handedy responsible for the enacting of Australia's pioneering environmental legislation. He is also personally responsible for seeing that DDT was banned in Australia as well. This was just the tip of what I am sure was a very big ice berg. The conversation with him was incredible. I wish I had a lot more time to talk to him.

I did make it to a couple of the museums in town, the Telstra Tower (the highest point in town), and took a tour of New Parliament House (an interesting mix of the British Parliament and the US Congress).

Overall, Canberra was a nice city and definitely worth a couple of days if you have the time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is quite an interesting place, and quite unfairly criticized by Australians elsewhere, I think.
Even living there is better than most Australians give it credit for....