Thursday, August 04, 2005

Angkor Part I

WOW!!! The place is AMAZING! I spen the whole day looking at temples and I am in heaven. My motorbike driver is in hell. I tried to explain to him that I was an archaeologist and that I was going to want to stop at everything and that I was going to spend a ton of time at everything, but I don't think he really understood. Whatever though. I am the one paying and if he does not complain over the course of the whole thing I am going to give him a fat tip at the end.

The Angkor complex is built between about 800 and 1250 AD by a series of kings who each built a state temple as well a numerous adjoining buildings. Needless to say over the source of 400 years a lot of stuff was built. There are temples spread over about 300 square km.

Today I went and saw: Angkor Wat, Phnom Bakheng, Ankor Tom, the Bayon, Baphuon, Phimeanaka, Terrace of Elephants, Terrace of the Leper King, Chau Say Thevoda, Thammanom, Ta Keo, and Ta Prohm. I was out in the complex from about 8:00 am till 6:30 pm.


I am including a couple of photos here to tease you all a little, but I promise I will put a ton of them in a couple of days.

Angkor Wat (The most famous one.)
Bayon (The one with over 200 faces.)
Ta Phrohm (They filmed parts of Tomb Raider here.)
It is a really good thing that I bought the one week pass because I think that I am going to be here a while. I took over 250 photos today!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Owen. That's really awesome. I look forward to seeing more pictures!

-Adriane

Anonymous said...

O-
I am so amazed at the adventure that you are having. I had not checked your blog in a two weeks or so and just caught up. The sea life that you got to experience on your dives sounds fantastic. The pictures you have been taking are incredible. I can't wait to see more! Enjoy the rest of your travels and stay safe.

Linda