Thursday, August 11, 2005

Ko Tao

I arrived on Ko Tao the morning of the 9th and I have found heaven. I was picked up at the pier by the Buddha View truck and brought across the island to their resort. The place is idyllic to say the least. The dive center is a huge building that houses the office and all the gear and their is a restaurant right next door. Beach-front bungalows, bars, and restaurants line a small bay of shallow crystal blue water. There is also a place to get Thai massages, another place to relax on giant cushions and watch a movie. There are also a variety of bars from upbeat and loud to super chill and relaxed.

I am staying at one end of the beach in a small bungalow that is slightly up a hillside. I have an incredible view to say the least. I took the photograph to the right from by balcony at sunset last night. There are large windows that swing open so that the air can blow through the place. There are also screens on the windows to keep the mosquitos out. The balcony has a couple nice chairs and wooden bench for just relaxing.

There is a great vibe to the bay, as it is completely full of tan, attractive 20-somethings in bikinis and board shorts. The guys who run the dive center joking call the place temptation island. Everyone is here to dive and so that is the most common topic of conversation. How many dives do you have? Where have you been diving before? You live in Hawaii! That must be great. Are you going diving tomorrow morning or afternoon?

My typical day involves getting up around 6:30 in the morning and shuffling my way down to the dive center's restaurant for a mango shake and banana pancake for breakfast. I then head out for a two tank boat dive around 7:45 and get back to the beach around 12:30. Fill out dive logs over lunch, and then usually take a nice long nap in a hammock under some trees near my bungalow. Once the suns rays are not so intense I head down to the beach for a swim or to play a little frisbee with other people who are hanging out. Finish with the beach, take a shower, and head down for the evening. There is a large bar-b-que buffet each night where you can get a mountain of great food for about $3. You get your plate and head to the bar where you eat and enjoy your first beer of the day. You then hangout with cool people and drink for a few hours before turning in around midnight.

In sum, this place is so nice I might never be coming home.

I have also met up with Julie Meierding, Emily's little sister, fresh off of her serious adventures in the Philippines. She joined me here on Ko Tao yesterday and we went diving together today.


This was before she ate a giant bowl of super spicy green curry. I promised to be nice and not show the after photo...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Photos. We want photos!