Tuesday, August 23, 2005

A New Beach


Sorry the pictures have taken so long to get up. Sometimes it is hard to find a fast connection.

I have found my way to the Fanta Bungalows just to the east of the small northshore fishing viliage of Ban Chalok Lam. Chalok Lam has fortunately not been as effected by tourism as many of the other beaches on Koh Phangan and so you can still see the daily local business of haggling over the fish that were caught the previous night down at the base of the pier.

The crowd at the bungalows is a little older, more mature, and more sedate than the crowd on Koh Tao, for which I am quite grafeful. I need a couple days of quite respite. Especially since tomorrow night I am headed to the full moon party.


My bungalow.


This party has been featured on several travel channel shows and is reknowned as one of the best parties on the planet. It originally started about a decade ago as a small celebration, and of course has totally ballooned to enormous proportions. For one night a kilometer and a half stretch of beach plays host to, during peak season (now), up to 30,000 twenty-somethings partying the night away. Half the people I have talked to about said it was one of the worst things they did on their trip. The other half say it was the best thing about their trip.

I am meeting up with several people that I have met in other places on this trip and I will be certain to let you know how it all turns out...

No comments: