Saturday, July 30, 2005

Blackout

I awoke this morning to an extremely stuffy and hot room. The large ceiling fan above the bed was not turning. I could have sworn that it was on when I had went to bed. Uh oh, power outage... This as not the first one that I had encountered in Vietnam. In fact there has been about one per week as I have made my way across the country. The unique thing about this one is that I got to see the guys who were trying to fix it.

Now in the US, when the power goes out the electric company dispatches a big truck with a cherry picker on it to fix whatever might be broken. Here in Vietnam, they send out the... bicycle. Yes, the bicycle. Complete with the bamboo ladders.


Please note that aside from the hard hat and waist safety harness there is no other safety gear worn by the workmen. None of the rubber insulation that electrical workers wear in the US.



And just for laughs...


No McDonalds, yet...

1 comment:

Lilypad John said...

hehehe that is pretty funny :)