Saturday, July 02, 2005

Setting Out Again


While many of you know about what I have been up to recently I am sure that what follows will come as a surprise to many of you.

I gave two weeks notice of resignation at work on June 15 for a variety of reasons I will not go into here. But suffice to say I was dissatisfied and wanted to get a new job. (Yes, still doing archaeology and, yes, still in Hawaii.) My last day of work was June 30. I thought about my decision for a little while and realized that if I was going to change archaeology firms I aught to take a little time off.

So... I am headed to Southeast Asia for two months! I depart on July 4 - Independence Day - for Bangkok, Thailand. I will then shortly be moving on to Hanoi, Vietnam and then travel south through Vietnam to Saigon, across into Cambodia, and eventually back to Thailand where I will bum around for the last three or four weeks of my trip. I am intending on returning to Honolulu on August 30.

I am VERY excited to say the least. I am going to get to do a lot of scuba diving and I am going to get to go visit Angkor Wat, an archaeological site on par with the Pyramids, the Coliseum, the Acropolis, or Machu Pichu. I will be sure to post a ton of pictures after I have been there.

I am also hoping to get to stop in and see some friends from graduate school at UH who are from Vietnam and Thailand. There is nothing better than hanging out with the locals when you travel. You get to expereince things that you never would on your own. It also makes a trip a lot more fulfilling.

Anyway, thanks for checking out my blog and I hope that you bookmark it and check back in on a regular basis.

Owen

9 comments:

Lilypad John said...

Dude, I am so jealous of you. Good luck on your trip!

Anonymous said...

Hey O-
I think you are the only person I know who picks up and 'goes' like I do. All the best and PLEASE post pics...
I hope our paths cross again soon!! Happy Travels!!!

Anonymous said...

Owen,

Fantastic page and great itinerary planned. Be careful and I'm looking forward to your insane stories; as long as you don't eat the guinea pigs again!
Miss ya,
Jordan O

Anonymous said...

OK, Owen . . . but you must realize, with you being out of the country and all, Bush will be forced to choose someone else for the vacancy on the Supreme Court. Oh well, have a great time anyhow! I'm looking forward to your news.
Tim

Anonymous said...

Owen!,

Wow, hardly recognized you...in fact almost not at all! You'll have a great time, and, for my sake, linger in Vietnam (off the beaten and on to an archaeological track) as long as possible. You will love it there! I did my MA fieldwork in Ninh Binh province (bronze age cemetery mortuary archaeology) and can thus give all the archaeo contacts you want! Skip Hue, see Hoi An, dive your heart out in Nha Trang, eat whole lobsters on the beach for $6, and see if you can't avoid falling in love with Hanoi! See Ha Long Bay's scenery and get lost in Saigon's chaos! Have fun.

Damien

Anonymous said...

Owen, have a great time. We'll be watching. Marty

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you OOleary!!! You are definately ready for this adventure and you are in my "territory"!!
Come to Beijing...
xxoo Kendra

Anonymous said...

I saw your post on BnA and thought I would check out your blog as I will be headed to Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia in November after Oz and NZ!! Have a great trip!
BTW, you were cute with the goat, you are HOT without it:)

Take care!
Kristen (krisk)

Anonymous said...

Sorry to tell you this but the voglee thing is a trick. Maybe the suits are good but I experienced the same thing as many other people have.

A lot of people fall for it because it is much more sophisticated than most thailand tricks.

It always entails an extremely cheap taxi ride, somebody mentioning voglee and later on a seemingly random second person who also tells about voglee.