Sunday, July 31, 2005

Into Cambodia

I spent a total of 24 days in Vietnam and I wish that I had another two weeks. I guess that I am just going to have to come back! ; )

I crossed overland into Cambodia yesterday. Crossing overland is always an interesting experience. Last time I did it was from Peru into Bolivia and there were wanted posters for assassins on the windows of the Bolivian immigration station. The crossing also tends to be especially interesting when you are going between two countries that have had, shall we say, an antagonistic relationship. Vietnam and Cambodia's relationship goes back centuries. Fortunately, my worries proved to be completely unfounded.

I left Vietnam through a massive stone faced building. Because all of the tour bus companies arrive at the border crossing at the same time there is this massive rush of people at the immigration station. This of course results in waiting in line forever because the place is understaffed. After exiting the Vietnam side I walked about 150 meters which brought me to the actual border. I knew that I was at the border because of the change in the quality of the road - Cambodia's being worse - and the change in the lamp posts.

(Vietnam's is on the right.)

Another 150 meters brought me to the Cambodia entry building. Well, at least to the one that is still under construction. The actual immigration station, a couple of small buildings, were off to the side of the construction site in a large dirt area. There were lots of officials milling around. I counted 5 Ak-47s and 6 handguns (I never saw a machine gun in Vietnam and only a handfull of handguns). Because I already had my visa I was moved right along and in about 5 minutes time I found myself having legally entered into Cambodia. I boarded another bus and headed off to the capitol, phonon Penh.

The roads were in much poorer condition when compared to Vietnam and the houses along the side of the road reflected a MUCH poorer rural population. It is still a beautiful country that I can't wait to explore.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think the transition was a little less jarring when i went by boat, but i still remember feeling that there was a substantial difference between the countries once i got to a town. where did you cross the border? and where are you headed next? i'm so excited you're finally making it to angkor!

Owen said...

I crossed the border from Moc Bai in Vietnam to Bavet in Cambodia.

Next up is Angkor. I leave from Phnom Penh tomorrow morning.